Offline Radio
12 year old girl electrocuted in Kasarani
19/03/2023 18:07 in National News

A grade six student in Kisii was electrocuted Saturday while leaning on a balcony at an apartment in Nairobi's Kasarani neighbourhood.


Nelia Nyarinda Misati, 12, of Eronge Primary in Nyamira, was visiting the city during the half-term break when the event occurred.


According to the family and authorities, she died in the hospital while being treated following the 7 p.m. event.


According to the family lawyer, Nyambega Mose, the girl leaned on a metal balcony without realising she was touching a live wire.


"The wires were dangling freely and had touched the metal grill of the balcony, which the girl touched before getting electrocuted," he explained.


He also stated that the family intends to suit for monetary damages.


"We realise similar events are on the upswing in this area and we blame developers and Kenya Power. "We will pursue the matter to its conclusion," he stated.


Police stated that they were called and told of the incident after it occurred.


Kenya Electricity officials have stated that they will participate in the investigation and make recommendations on how to proceed.


Such occurrences have become more common in the city.


With greater connectivity around the country, there has been a spike in electrocution cases.


According to officials, improper wiring in customer premises contributed 24%, illegal connections 16%, structures and buildings near electricity lines 12%, and deliberate activities 11%.


Nakuru, Nairobi Makueni, Kericho, Kisii, Kisumu, Uasin Gishu, Nyamira, Migori, and Kiambu are the 10 most impacted counties.


Authorities are conducting a public sensitization campaign around the country in collaboration with the mainstream media and NGAO to spread the message that hazardous electricity might end in death.


There were 149 deaths in the 2018/19 fiscal year, 149 deaths in the 2019/20 fiscal year, and 93 deaths in 2021.


Poor wiring at customer premises, according to officials, is a serious worry, and people are using quacks during construction.


KPLC encourages contractors to use the KPLC website or visit a nearby office to find qualified and certified electricians.

Comment sent successfully!