Loading Gee Radio...

OFF AIR Gee Radio
Published On: August 18, 2026 Categories: Crime & Court

Obado Seeks Lenient Sentence After Conviction for Sharon Otieno’s Murder

Former Migori governor cites age, health and lengthy trial as High Court considers sentence

Obado Seeks Lenient Sentence After Conviction for Sharon Otieno’s Murder

0 likes

Former Migori Governor Okoth Obado has asked the High Court to consider a lenient sentence, including a possible non-custodial term, following his conviction over the murder of Sharon Otieno.

The plea was contained in a pre-sentence social inquiry report presented before the court, which outlined Obado’s personal circumstances, his position on the conviction and the views of Sharon’s family.

Obado cited his age, health condition and the lengthy period taken to conclude the case as factors he believes should persuade the court to exercise leniency when determining his sentence.

Obado maintains he was not involved in murder

During interviews with probation officers, Obado maintained that he did not participate in Sharon’s murder, despite acknowledging that the two had been in an intimate relationship.

According to the report, the former governor told probation officers that he respected the court’s verdict but disagreed with the finding that he was involved in Sharon’s death.

He nevertheless expressed remorse over Sharon’s death and said he remained willing to support her family and pursue reconciliation.

Obado also told probation officers that he was prepared to take responsibility for Sharon’s pregnancy after the birth of the child and a DNA test.

The report further indicates that Obado acknowledged having entrusted his aide, Michael Oyamo, with handling matters involving Sharon, including making arrangements to link up with her.

Health concerns cited in plea for leniency

Obado also pointed to his health as a factor the court should consider.

The social inquiry report notes that he suffers from hypertension and had complained of pain around his left shoulder.

He also has no previous criminal convictions, another factor raised in support of a lenient sentence.

The defence is expected to argue that these circumstances, together with the prolonged period the case has taken to conclude, warrant consideration of a sentence that is less severe than imprisonment.

Sharon’s family open to leniency

In a significant development, Sharon Otieno’s family told probation officers that they had no objection to Obado being considered for a lenient sentence.

The family cited the support Obado has continued to provide to them and said they welcomed efforts aimed at reconciliation.

They further asked that the former governor be allowed to honour promises and pledges he had made to Sharon’s parents.

According to the report, the family said fulfilling those commitments would help ease the economic difficulties they have experienced since Sharon’s death.

Their position is likely to form part of the material the court will consider before determining the appropriate sentence.

Court to consider multiple factors

The High Court will consider the probation officer’s report alongside Sharon’s victim impact statement and submissions from both the prosecution and defence.

The sentencing process will therefore take into account the circumstances of the offence, the impact of Sharon’s death on her family, Obado’s personal circumstances and any mitigating or aggravating factors presented before the court.

The case has attracted significant public attention since Sharon, who was pregnant at the time, was abducted and later found murdered in September 2018.

Obado was subsequently convicted in connection with her murder after a lengthy court process.

The former governor’s sentencing is expected to proceed on September 16, 2026, when the High Court will consider the parties’ submissions before determining the appropriate punishment.

Share

Share this story

Choose a platform or copy the link