Sharon Otieno’s Family Seeks Compensation Over Murder, Eight-Year Court Battle
Sharon Otieno’s family says her murder and eight-year court battle have caused severe financial hardship and lasting emotional trauma, leaving her three children vulnerable.
0 likes
The family of slain Rongo University student Sharon Otieno has asked the High Court to consider compensation, saying her murder and the nearly eight-year legal battle that followed have left them emotionally traumatised and financially strained.
The request is contained in a victim impact statement included in a probation report filed before the court ahead of sentencing in the case.
According to the report, the family has incurred substantial expenses since Sharon’s murder, including costs associated with her funeral, travel to court proceedings and the long-term care of her three children.
The family told probation officers that it had been forced to sell a one-acre parcel of land and a cow to meet expenses arising from the murder, burial and prolonged court proceedings.
Family spent millions following Sharon’s death
The probation report estimates that Sharon’s family spent approximately KSh1.2 million on transport, accommodation and meals while travelling to Nairobi to attend court proceedings over the past seven to eight years.
The family also estimates that funeral and burial expenses amounted to about KSh3.5 million.
The financial strain, the family said, has left it struggling to meet essential needs, including education, healthcare, food and housing.
It has also had to contend with the needs of Sharon’s three children, her ageing parents and siblings.
“The victim family prays for compensation,” the report states, noting that the family’s resources have been depleted and that it is no longer able to adequately meet its obligations.
The family has consequently asked the court to consider measures that could provide relief from the financial difficulties it says were caused by Sharon’s death and the lengthy court process.
Family seeks trauma counselling
Beyond the financial consequences, the family told probation officers that Sharon’s death had subjected them to prolonged emotional distress, trauma, psychological suffering and anxiety.
They said the pain had persisted for nearly eight years as they followed the criminal proceedings and sought justice for Sharon.
The family has therefore requested psychological and trauma counselling to help its members cope with the loss and begin the process of healing.
The report describes Sharon’s three children, parents and siblings as secondary victims who have continued to experience grief, psychological trauma and economic vulnerability following her death.
Her children, in particular, have had to grow up without their mother.
Media exposure and security concerns
The family also raised concerns about what it described as persistent negative exposure on social media and mainstream media.
According to the report, the family believes the coverage has affected its dignity and contributed to anxiety among its members.
It also expressed concerns about its safety, particularly because some individuals linked to the case remain at large.
The family fears possible retaliation or negative reactions following the conclusion of the case and the delivery of the final judgment.
Reconciliation efforts
The probation report also details efforts to facilitate reconciliation between Sharon’s family and the families of the accused persons.
Representatives of former Migori Governor Zachariah Okoth Obado’s family attended a reconciliation meeting with Sharon’s family on August 10, 2026.
During the meeting, Obado’s family acknowledged that he had made commitments to Sharon and indicated that they remained willing to fulfil them.
The probation report says honouring those commitments could help address some of the needs of Sharon’s children.
A separate meeting was also held with representatives of the family of the second accused. However, the engagement did not result in an amicable reconciliation or substantive deliberations.
According to the report, no reconciliation efforts were initiated by the family of the third accused.
Probation officer urges court to consider family’s needs
The probation officer noted that no sentence could restore Sharon’s life or completely erase the pain suffered by her loved ones.
However, the report recommends that the High Court consider interventions capable of stabilising the family and securing the future of Sharon’s children.
It further notes that commitments made during the reconciliation process could provide a pathway towards addressing some of the family's immediate needs, independently of the court's eventual sentencing decision.
Principal Probation Officer Salome Muthoni has recommended that the High Court consider the totality of the findings contained in the report when determining the sentences of Obado and his co-accused.
The family is expected to make its submissions on sentencing when the matter comes before the High Court on September 16, 2026.
The sentencing proceedings will provide the family with an opportunity to formally present the impact of Sharon’s death on her children and relatives, including the financial, emotional and psychological consequences documented in the victim impact statement.
Share this story
Choose a platform or copy the link