Loading Gee Radio...

OFF AIR Gee Radio
Published On: August 18, 2026 Categories: Politics

Gachagua Alleges Government Plot to Delay 2027 Election After Homa Bay Violence

DCP leader Rigathi Gachagua alleges the Homa Bay violence was part of a government plan to create conditions for postponing the 2027 General Election.

Gachagua Alleges Government Plot to Delay 2027 Election After Homa Bay Violence

0 likes

Democracy for the Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua has accused the government of orchestrating violence in Homa Bay as part of an alleged plan to disrupt and postpone the 2027 General Election.

Gachagua made the allegations on Tuesday while meeting a delegation of Ukambani leaders at Wamunyoro, where he claimed the unrest surrounding an opposition political gathering was part of a broader strategy by the Kenya Kwanza administration.

The allegations have not been independently verified.

Gachagua alleges mobilisation of 'Hammer Boys'

Gachagua claimed President William Ruto was angered by intelligence that opposition figures Edwin Sifuna and Babu Owino were expected to address a large gathering in Homa Bay.

He alleged that a group he referred to as the “Hammer Boys” had been mobilised to disrupt the meeting, claiming that KSh60 million had been released to facilitate the operation.

He further alleged that police officers based in Nairobi had been deployed as backup.

Gachagua claimed the violence resulted in the death of one police officer and the destruction of 22 vehicles.

The former deputy president did not, however, provide publicly verifiable evidence during his address to substantiate the claims.

Claims of 2027 election postponement

Gachagua went further to allege that Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen had been directed to create conditions that could facilitate the postponement of the 2027 elections by two years.

He also alleged that the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) was part of a plan to create conditions for an election delay and the declaration of a two-year state of emergency.

“They are setting the stage to postpone the election and declare a state of emergency for two years,” Gachagua said.

Kenya's next General Election is constitutionally scheduled for 2027, making any proposal to delay the polls a matter of significant political and constitutional consequence.

Gachagua calls for international intervention

The DCP leader called on the international community, including the United States and Germany, to intervene, warning that Kenya could descend into anarchy if political tensions continue to escalate.

His remarks come amid increasing political mobilisation ahead of the 2027 elections, with opposition and government-aligned political formations positioning themselves for the next electoral contest.

Gachagua also renewed his call for a united opposition presidential ticket.

He said the opposition's best chance of defeating the Kenya Kwanza administration in 2027 would be to settle on a single presidential candidate.

“The best way to win this election is a single presidential candidate,” he said.

He added that he was prepared either to lead the ticket or serve as its campaign director should another opposition politician be selected as the presidential candidate.

Mt Kenya unity push

Gachagua also linked his political activities to efforts to unite Mt Kenya East, South and West ahead of the 2027 election.

He dismissed rival political formations emerging from the region as attempts to divide Mt Kenya and weaken its political influence.

His remarks reflect the increasingly competitive political positioning in the region, which is expected to play a significant role in determining alliances ahead of the next General Election.

DCP official invokes 1992 political tensions

DCP Secretary-General John Methu separately criticised the government's political approach, accusing the Ruto administration of taking Kenya back to the highly charged political environment associated with the 1992 multiparty election.

“President Ruto has now decided that he can take us the direction of 1992,” Methu said.

Methu also criticised emerging political movements from Murang'a, Laikipia and Nakuru, accusing them of seeking to divide the Mt Kenya region.

The allegations by Gachagua and Methu add to the increasingly sharp political rhetoric ahead of the 2027 elections.

However, Gachagua's claims concerning the alleged government plan to postpone the election, the KSh60 million payment and the involvement of security agencies remain allegations and have not been independently established.

The developments are likely to fuel further debate over political violence, electoral preparedness and the stability of Kenya's democratic institutions as the country moves closer to the 2027 General Election.

Share

Share this story

Choose a platform or copy the link