MOA Mourns Telemundo Executive José Alberto Suárez After Samburu Helicopter Crash
MOA pays tribute to veteran Telemundo executive José Alberto Suárez, among seven people killed in a helicopter crash near Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County.
0 likes
The Media Owners Association of Kenya (MOA) has expressed deep condolences following the death of José Alberto Suárez, a prominent American media executive who was among seven people killed in a helicopter crash in Samburu County.
In a statement signed by MOA Chairperson Agnes Kalekye, the association conveyed its sympathies to Suárez’s family, his colleagues, and the families of all those who died in the accident.
Suárez was President and General Manager of Telemundo’s television stations in Orlando, Tampa and Fort Myers-Naples, Florida. He had spent more than two decades in senior media roles at Telemundo and NBC-owned stations, building a career that extended beyond the United States.
The MOA said Suárez’s professional legacy had also had an indirect connection to audiences and broadcasters in Kenya, noting that several of its member stations had carried Telemundo content over the years.
“Many of our member stations have carried Telemundo's content over the years, bringing the shows he helped bring to life into Kenyan homes. In that way, his work built a quiet bridge between our media worlds.”
The association also extended solidarity to Suárez’s colleagues at NBCUniversal and Telemundo, as well as to everyone affected by the sudden tragedy.
“Our thoughts are also with the families of everyone who died in this accident. We cannot imagine the weight of this sudden loss,” Kalekye said. “We stand with the bereaved families, with Suárez's colleagues at NBCUniversal and Telemundo, and with all who are grieving. May they all rest in peace.”
A Distinguished Media Career
Suárez was killed on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, when the helicopter crashed near Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County.
He previously served as president and general manager of Telemundo 33 Sacramento and Telemundo 51 Fresno from April 2019 to February 2024. He later returned to his home state of Florida, where he took charge of the Orlando, Tampa and Fort Myers stations.
His former Sacramento and Fresno stations described him as a visionary leader, mentor and passionate advocate for the Latino community.
“José Alberto Suárez was a visionary, someone who united people, a mentor and a tireless advocate for our Latino community,” the stations said in a joint statement.
They added that Suárez had an exceptional ability to bring people together around a shared commitment to strengthening communities.
Throughout his career, Suárez received numerous industry honours, including a Lone Star Emmy, a Suncoast Emmy and three Best Daily Newscast Emmys. He was also recognised with several Associated Press awards.
His death marks a significant loss to the American media industry and to the colleagues, communities and audiences touched by his decades-long career. For Kenya’s media fraternity, the MOA’s tribute underscores the connections that exist between broadcasters across borders through the content, ideas and professional relationships that shape the global media industry.
Share this story
Choose a platform or copy the link